1. Come on then lets get a list of names down for who's got this so we can start partying up and get some private matched going. http://www.vgforums.co.uk/threads/cod-ww2-ps4-role-call.10312/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
New!! Join User Group option added. Head over the this thread to see more information and instructions on how to join - http://www.vgforums.co.uk/community/threads/join-user-group-mod.6449/

Street Fighter 25th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Fighting Games' started by WolfCarnage, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I can't quite believe it but it's 25 years old. I remember being bought the original back in 1988 (although the arcade version hit my local arcarde Silver City in 1987) on my ZX Spectrum 48K

The game has not changed all that much and yet is still a fine fine game after all this time.

Ryu, I salute you!

2. I now officially feel old, thanks carnage ;)

3. You're Welcome.

The original Street Fighter game isn't often mentioned when refering to the title as it's SF2 that everyone recognises as the same game it is now. Shame because the first was a gem for the time it was made.

4. To be honest I don't really remember the original either. My first recolection of SF was SF2 on my mates SNES. I remember he used to beat the crap of me in every game! Didn't really see much of it after that really until after SF4 was released. Now obviously I see SF bloody everywhere! :rotfl:

Not SF2 on the Wii that I downloaded years ago, and have every version of SF4 too, and no doubt will be getting SF x Tekken aswell.

Not sure if we're doing anything for the anniversary to be honest, nothing I've heard of anyway. It truly is a great game though, one of the defining games of all time IMO. It's also massively fun to play too, both online but even more with mates! Sounds sad but I'm proud to be associated with it.

5. I learnt all the basic moves for fighting games from SF and MK. Like most I only really remember SF2 at home and SF1 in Arcade. To think a game like that spawned a whole genre with games like Tekken, Dead or Alive, MK, Dynasty Warriors and so on. Primal Rage was always good for a laugh. I remember playing Eternal Champions on my new 6 button controller on the Megadrive. 6 buttons now that was a thing of beauty all 3 kick and punch buttons next to each other. Made MK3 easier thats for sure.

6. Perhaps the characters should be showing their age by now. I'm sure with a decent cuppa all this angst and anger could be dealt with ;)

I have similar memories to Hoo - crowded around a SNES (a japanese import no less).

7. Yeah that's what the proper SF fightsticks have. Makes playing so much easier (although unfortunately that doesn't mean better!).

8. When SF2 first came out in the arcades I used to tell my Mum that my school was doing an after hours computer club but it cost a pound to go, without batting an eye lid Mum would give me a pound for "computer club" and another pound to get some chips on the way home.....little did my Mum know that "computer club" was SF2 in the chippy across the road from my school :D Me and my mates must've spent a fortune playing that game.

When Capcom first announced that it was coming out on the SNES I saved all my pocket money for weeks and imported a copy from Japan cos I couldn't wait for the pal version release, I can't remember exactly how much it cost me now but seem to remember paying something in the region of a £100 for it including the Japanese games converter!!! But it was worth every penny I don’t think I’ve ever play any game as much as I played SF2

9. Such fond memories of this series.

SF2 was the first "console" game I ever owned - when I got my SNES ni the Xmas of '92 (I think). (Ignoring the beauty of the ZX Spectrum before thatt :D)
    For me its the start of the series, although I do remember seeing/playing the original on a mate's Atari/Commodore 64 (If someone could clarify that'd be great for my memory!) but never thought it was anywhere near as good as SF2.

Spent countless hours on it. Ah the cheat for additional colours to mimic the Championship Edition - still remember it now - Down, R, Up, L, Y, B when Capcom shows - and the same on the Turbo edition to make it go insanely fast!!

Highlights include beating Level 7 for the first time (with Chun Li I think) and then trying to beat the entire game on Level 7 with Dhalsim - who me and my bro were crap with. Took us over 100 battles to do - I know that because thats how we figured out the battle counter stops at 99! :lol:

Great memories of a great game. :)

10. Oh shit I completely forgot about that, I remember the noise it made when you got it right....I used to be so quick at that button sequence :D

11. Well today's the day.

Streetfighter is officially 25 years old today!

[​IMG]

Great game that's stood the test of time!

To celebrate Capcom are doing a 25th Anniversary Edition which contains the following:

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
    Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike Online Edition
    Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition (with all costume DLC)
    Street Fighter X Tekken (including all character and Swap Costume DLC)
    Two-disc Blu-Ray video set including a documentary on the series' history, the Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4 Anime movies, episodes of the Street Fighter animated series, and Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie
    8" light-up Ryu statue
    11 discs of soundtrack music
    64 page hardback art book
    Ryu's belt replica
    Certificate of authenticity

No European release date as yet, only US (priced at $149) but hopefully it'll hit these shores at some point.

Also they are running a global SF tourney with over $500,000 in prize money up for grabs. The UK leg will be held at the Eurogamer Expo in September with the invite only final held in San Francisco in Dec.