1. Come on then lets get a list of names down for who's got this so we can start partying up and get some private matched going. http://www.vgforums.co.uk/threads/cod-ww2-ps4-role-call.10312/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
New!! Join User Group option added. Head over the this thread to see more information and instructions on how to join - http://www.vgforums.co.uk/community/threads/join-user-group-mod.6449/

STAR WARS

Discussion in 'Film,TV & Music' started by ODB, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Ok lots of info on these lately so I thought I'd start a Star Wars thread...if you're not a fan then please feel free to GTFO :finger:

SO..

JJ Abrams confirmed as Director of next Star Wars Film
    Confirmed a new trilogy (EP 7, 8 & 9) ARE happening and now confirmed as scheduled for release between 2015 and 2021

However today sees more news. There are to be MORE Star Wars films in between that timeline that are standalone films about characters we already know...so looks like Disney are going to milk this franchise for everything they can. I just hope they do a decent job and if they do I'm all for it!

2. 'Stand-alone' Star Wars films planned

[​IMG]

It is rumoured the first stand-alone film will focus on Jedi master Yoda

Films built around existing characters from the Star Wars universe are being developed alongside the new trilogy of films, the Disney studio has revealed.

"We are working on a few stand-alone films... derived from great Star Wars characters," Disney CEO Bob Iger told the CNBC channel on Tuesday.

The films, written by Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg, will be released between 2015 and 2021, he continued.

The seventh Star Wars film, directed by JJ Abrams, is due out in 2015.

Disney bought George Lucas's Lucasfilm company for $4.05 billion (£2.58 billion) last year, saying it was committed to at least three new films.

The first of these, Star Wars: Episode VII, will be scripted by Michael Arndt, the Oscar-winning writer of Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine.

Mr Iger outlined the studio's plans with CNBC ahead of a call with analysts to discuss the Disney company's latest financial results.

Despite seeing a slight dip in its quarterly earnings, the CEO said the studio was "confident about the year ahead, as well as our ability to create continued long-term growth".

While speaking to CNBC, Mr Iger admitted there had been "speculation" about "some stand-alone films" that would not form "part of the overall saga".

"We still plan to make Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 roughly over a six-year period of time starting in 2015," he went on.

"But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time too."

Kasdan has a long association with Lucasfilm, having worked on the scripts of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi - the second and third instalments of the first Star Wars trilogy.

Kinberg's own screenwriting credits include comic book sequel X-Men: The Last Stand, Mr & Mrs Smith and Guy Ritchie's 2009 Sherlock Holmes film.

Tuesday's announcement was preceded by a report on the Ain't It Cool News site that the first stand-alone film would focus on the diminutive Jedi master Yoda.

"Word is Yoda is first," wrote website founder Harry Knowles in a posting that also mentioned such other Star Wars staples as bounty hunter Boba Fett and slug-like gangster Jabba the Hutt.

3. Personally if Abrams can do what he did with Star Wars with how he rebooted Star Trek I think he will blow away the OT. Darker and grittier and not pandering to Lucas think we will be in for some epic battles etc. In regard the standalone films I'll reserve judgment, I like my SW but they could end up flooding the market and it could be very hit and miss unless you get big directors like Del Torro, Peter Jackson and Nolan involved, maybe involving The Old Republic stuff with some badass Sith roaming the galaxy. My only worry is Disney trying to get back the £4 billion quickly, if they do it right they will triple that by the end of the next trilogy.

4. As long as that fucking twat Ja-Ja Binks isn't in any of them I'll be happy! :thumbsup:

5. Maybe they should do a Jar Jar one...make out he got brain damage or something to explain the annoying elecunt!

personally i'd like to see more Ewoks, more Han before Ep4 and more Wookies. Story of Han and Chewie and the events that led to Chewie's blood oath would be good

6. I was hoping they're followed on the story in a similar capacity to the Timothy Zahn trilogy

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy</a>

I really enjoyed reading these way back abd felt they carried forward the lead characters really well. Alway a Star Wars fan and never really into Star Trek.

7. I was hoping that too but it relied on the original actors so I guess they are too old really though it could still work tbh though they'd have to get them filmed fast with Ford being so old

8. News about standalone films over and above the new trilogy, guess these might be animated style films? From Dark Horizons;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26145/disney-confirms-star-wars-spin-off-films" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26145/ ... -off-films</a>

It was thought to be case, now Disney Pictures CEO Bob Iger has confirmed talk that the studio is looking into "Star Wars" spin-off films that will be released independently of the new trilogy. Iger tells CNBC:

"There has been speculation about some stand-alone films that are in development. I can confirm to you today that, in fact, we are working on a few stand-alone films.

Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga.

We still plan to make Episodes 7, 8, and 9, roughly over a six-year period of time, starting in 2015. There are going to be a few other films released in that time, too."

9. But the new Star Trek has new actors old roles, why can't SW?

10. cause it wouldnt work with the Thrawn trilogy at all tbh, would need to be the same actors as its after EP 4-6. With ST reboot they were all supposed to be them at an earlier stage of life so you can get away with it cause one day they would look like the faces we new. If it was a prequel you could get away with it hence the Han and Chewie bllod oath storyline I mentioned before as it was before we knew them

11. Ye I've read most of the EU books but the only way they can bring back the old lot would be as mentors to give it continuity, I'm thinking they will advance it 50 years or so maybe Luke will make an appearance but the rest won't. I hope they just bring out some epic battles similar to the intros to SWTOR or Force Unleashed..

12. New Star Wars film yearly from 2015

Disney has said a new Star Wars film will appear yearly from 2015, alternating between new episodes in the space saga and spinoff character films.

The announcement, made at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, was reported by Comingsoon.

Star Trek director JJ Abrams will begin the new cycle of movies with Episode VII, from a script by Little Miss Sunshine writer Michael Arndt.

Star Wars creator George Lucas sold his film production company Lucasfilm to Disney last year for $4.05bn (£2.5bn).

The latest announcement was made by Walt Disney Co chairman Alan Horn, at the annual movie theatre convention CinemaCon in Las Vegas.

In February, Disney announced that alongside a new trilogy, a series of films built around existing characters from the Star Wars universe were in development.

It is rumoured the first stand-alone film could focus on the diminutive Jedi master Yoda.

The spinoff films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg.

The character of Yoda was voiced by film director and puppeteer Frank Oz Kasdan worked on the scripts of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi - the second and third instalments of the first Star Wars trilogy while Kinberg is best known for his work on X-Men: The Last Stand and Guy Ritchie's hit reboot of Sherlock Holmes, starring Robert Downey Jr.

'Bad feeling'

Fan reaction to Disney's announcement on social networks and film websites have been mixed. "Ridiculous", tweeted The Mail Man, "I've got a bad feeling about this," remarked Kurt Brookes, using one of the film's famous lines.

"New Star Wars every year? My kids are overjoyed," said Bryan Hitch.

Writing for Forbes magazine, Carol Pinchefsky, said: "The Twitterati are already concerned that there will be a Star Wars overload, that the movies will be "force marched" out as fast as Disney can make them.

"After all, Disney isn't typically known for pumping out entries in a franchise this rapidly (Pirates of the Caribbean notwithstanding)."

The original Star Wars film, released in the UK in 1977, starred Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford as they took on the evil Empire "in a galaxy, far, far away".

In a recent interview George Lucas hinted at a cast reunion, revealing the trio were "in final stages of negotiation".

13. To be fair, it should be noted that if they base any of this off of canon, then they have plenty of material to create unique stories each year. But in terms of production, can they pull them all of each year? That's a ton of commitment from everyone involved. They certainly won't be epic. They can't be. They'll also have to be very inside baseball, appealing to the most hardcore fans of the series.

Or they'll just be big-budget kiddie flicks. Either way, this is poor.

14. The spin-offs could work... Star Wars: The Clone Wars as an example of that perhaps?

Mentioning 'Pirates' does feel me with dread though. Hate those films so very very much

15. George Lucas has already dismissed all Star Wars books though as non-canon

16. Which is maybe why he gave them up to someone else. I felt like he just wasn't feeling it anymore.

But how on earth can they put out this volume while writing new scripts and producing all new movies every year? It seems like a ridiculous task.

17. [url_link=http://manmadediy.com/users/chris/posts/2769-how-to-make-diy-star-wars-snowflakes-free-templates]Star Wars + Christmas = WIN[/url_link]

18. <a class="postlink" href="http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/topic/12713/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic. ... pic/12713/</a>

19. Have you seen the Kevin Smith talk in his visit to the new set, I had a tear in my eye listening to him, we could be getting the Star Wars film we always wanted since the 80s