1. Come on then lets get a list of names down for who's got this so we can start partying up and get some private matched going. http://www.vgforums.co.uk/threads/cod-ww2-ps4-role-call.10312/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
New!! Join User Group option added. Head over the this thread to see more information and instructions on how to join - http://www.vgforums.co.uk/community/threads/join-user-group-mod.6449/

Skyrim - Review

Discussion in 'Gaming Reviews' started by MilkyMalky, Aug 12, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

Skyrim holds a place in my heart as the first game I ever bought for my PS3. The first game that accompanied me across that unspeakable void from the world of Nintendo into the arms of Sony. And if ever there was a showcase for what I had been missing by being a Nintendo devotee for the past 20 years, this game was certainly it.

During my forays into the various worlds of Hyrule over the years, I’d often longed for a much more sprawling landscape to explore, with more dungeons, more people to speak to with more character development. And whilst more recent offerings from Miyamoto had offered me Zelda games that tried to do that, they never quite filled the above.

Skyrim changed that.

For those of you that are unaware, Skyrim is an action based fantasy RPG adventure made by Bethedsa set in the huge sprawling world of the same titular name. Its the fifth instalment of the successful Elder Scrolls series. The game’s story starts with you having been accused of an unknown crime you probably didn’t commit, and then just as you’re about to be executed, a dragon swoops in and causes havoc so you can make your escape. I know what you’re thinking – it happens to me all the time too...

As it turns out, it was bad judgement on your scaly friend to gatecrash the execution party, because as chance would have it, it’s your character’s destiny to slay him and restore order to the land. But luckily there’s much more to it than that. There’s lots going on in the world of Skyrim for you to discover, a raging civil war, an underground cult of assassins, character plots as twisted as the myriad of dungeons and crypts you’ll be exploring. Throw in loads of giants, trolls, witches, vampires and of course dragons, and you soon realise this adventure isn’t going to be over before supper.

In order to tackle the world of Skyrim, you’ll be asked to create your own hero that will traverse the world – dishing out a can of whoop-ass to whoever gets in your way. But the way in which you dish out said whoop-ass is very much determined by how you mould your character along the way. Firstly there are your core bars of health, magicka and stamina. Health is you life, it recovers over time but if it runs out at any point, you die and have to start from your last save. Magicka is used to casts spells in the world of Skyrim, and your stamina bar dictates how far you can run, how much you can carry, and how many power attacks you can do. As you level up in the game, you get to increase any one of these bars, so you mould your basic character how you want.

How you level up is more complicated than in most RPGs. Its not related to killing enemies or completing quests, but by improving your ability in no less than 18 different skills. These skills range from various magic types, to skills with certain types of weapons and armour to how good you are at sneaking around and picking people’s pockets. The more you use each of these skills in your day to day adventuring, the better you get at them. Getting better at skills will in turn improve your character level, with more skill improvements required as your character level progresses.

[​IMG]

Now the last two paragraphs might seem complicated, but essentially what this complexity allows for is for you to completely tailor your character to suit your playing style as you progress, and unlike most RPGs, you don’t have to make a class choice at the start and be stuck with it through the entire game. In Skyrim you could begin the game, sneaking around and picking people off from afar with a bow like a Legolas-inspired ninja, then completely change and become a mage obsessed with burning all your foes to a crisp, and then, if it took your fancy you could simply resort to mace or axe facials for your enemies.

However you choose to play, you’ll be traversing a colossal overworld as you go. There are over 300 different locations in the sprawling land, including thriving cities, deep and dark dungeons, war-trodden fortresses, dank mines, sunken ships and quaint villages. And this huge world contains countless items from the basic ingredients for making potions, to food and drink, to powerful weapons and armour to gear your hero up for his long adventure.

So there’s certainly enough in Bethesda’s latest offering to keep you going. It certainly is a giant undertaking - but don’t let that put you off. Skyrim is one of those games that keeps you playing a lot longer than you realise. You’ll find yourself immersed in the latest quest or dungeon that you’ll just have to finish before you turn off the console. And for me thats a great sign of a game. Its escapism at its best and thats one of the highest accolades you can give an RPG.

Its also important to remember that you don’t need[/b[ to see everything in Skyrim – in fact that in itself is a mammoth undertaking. There’s no need to find all those locations or speak to every person or finish every quest, you can play the game as you want to, in as much depth as you so please. And its why everyone who plays Skyrim has a different adventure.

Visually this game is stunning, with detailed textures and lighting effects both in the interiors of dungeons and buildings as well as outside, in the sprawling countryside. But its the latter where you’ll really notice the gorgeous visuals on display. Whether it be standing atop a mountain and looking across the vast landscape for miles around in crisp detail, or whether its travelling under the night sky and you look up to be greeting by a large moon and Skyrim’s version of the Aurora Borealis. The first time I saw it, I was stunned.

[​IMG]

The music in Skyrim is also of a high quality – if you don’t get all rallied up by the menu screen music to go out and show a troll the business end of your axe then there’s something wrong with you! Other in-game music is mainly smooth soothing background tunes, however once combat is initiated then the score turns up the volume and tempo akin to the aforementioned menu screen music to ready you for combat. Its seemless music that provides ambience rather than tunes you’ll be humming in three weeks time, which fits perfectly with the game’s mood.

Difficulty-wise, I found this game to be challenging yet not to the point where it is brutal. I died a few times, although mainly when I would go in all guns blazing without thinking things through. Although luckily, as with most other parts of the game, the difficulty settings are customisable. You can alter the difficulty at any time (even in the middle of a scrap) should be finding a certain part of the game too much of a challenge, or alternatively not enough of one.

It’s only fair in a Bethesda game to mention the bugs that populate this otherwise flawless game. When Bethesda were creating such a mammoth game with so many variables, its only fair to assume that occasionally not every will run according to plan. Having said that, playing a game that periodically freezes on you is no fun. Neither is a game that bugs out so you can’t finish one of the main quest lines. Luckily the majority of these wrinkles have been ironed out with the various patches since launch, and to be honest my game hasn’t frozen for a while since these improvements, but these slight niggles do tarnish the otherwise thrilling experience of the game.

But bugs aside, this really is a phenomenal game, one you’ll find yourself spending hours wandering the cool crisp landscape, slaying dragons, the undead, and the occasional annoying villager. Skyrim will be one of those games that you’ll invest a lot of time in just seeing what its has to offer, seeing whats over the next hill, whats lurking in that next dungeon, where that next dragon is hiding. If you can look past the bugs then you’ll see a beautiful, absorbing game that Bethesda have created, and one which acts as a very high benchmark for action adventure RPGs going forward. Enjoy.

VISUALS: 10/10

SOUNDS: 9/10

LONGEVITY: 10/10

ENTERTAINMENT: 9.5/10

OVERALL: 9.5/10

2. Another great review milky excellent read :thumbsup:

3. Great stuff mate!

4. Fantastic review mate. Great read. I've just got hold of a copy so looking forward to playing it even more now.

5. Milky i have just added your review to our review page Games Reviews

6. Thanks for the comments guys, hope it helps for people just picking the game up.

And Nutz - cheers for putting it in the section mate.

7. Is PS3 still void of Dawnguard? And I know this game is epic, and takes hundreds of hours to fully enjoy. But 9 months for the review? Damn. haha. Nice read none the less.

8. Yeah no release date yet I don't think, sure it will come though.

Yeah I know the review was late, been toying with it for a while, but then when Carnage said he was considering playing it I thought I'd get down and do it. Just getting back into the swing of review writing again after a while out of it.

9. Well if you ever need some input on Dawnguard let me know. I've run through it a few times already. Top notch review though man. Well done.

The only thing I can after putting 150 hours or so onto xbox Skyrim and maybe 3 hours on PS3 is that if you have both systems...get it on Xbox. Plays alot better.