Nintendo - Switch

MilkyMalky

Global Moderator

In an introductory video released today, Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

• 505 Games

• Activision Publishing, Inc.

• ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.

• ATLUS CO., LTD.

• Audiokinetic Inc.

• Autodesk, Inc.

• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.

• Bethesda

• CAPCOM CO., LTD.

• Codemasters®

• CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.

• DeNA Co., Ltd.

• Electronic Arts

• Epic Games Inc.

• Firelight Technologies

• FromSoftware, Inc.

• Frozenbyte

• GameTrust

• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

• Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.

• HAMSTER Corporation

• Havok

• INTI CREATES CO., LTD.

• KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.

• Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

• LEVEL-5 Inc.

• Marvelous Inc.

• Maximum Games, LLC

• Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.

• Parity Bit Inc.

• PlatinumGames Inc.

• RAD Game Tools, Inc.

• RecoChoku Co., Ltd.

• SEGA Games Co., Ltd.

• Silicon Studio Corporation

• Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.

• SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.

• Starbreeze Studios

• Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

• Telltale Games

• THQ Nordic

• Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.

• TT Games

• UBISOFT

• Ubitus Inc.

• Unity Technologies, Inc.

• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

• Web Technology Corp

Today’s video incorporated short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system. Full game demonstrations, the list of launch window titles, as well as launch date, price, product configuration and related specifics, will be shown and announced prior to the March launch.

T_Riddler_

Administrator
Forum Owner
Loving the hybrid home console and handheld option it doesn't leave it stuck between one particular sector.

I would probably never use the handheld option but it is nice to have it available if required, a lot going on in the trailer with controllers etc seems to be a number of different options which if straight out the box then won't be costly for local multiplay as it has been in the past.

Strong amount of third party support available in the list which hopefully means ninty will be off to a good start from day one with a catalogue of games to play.

Along with Zelda also noticed mario kart and a 3D super mario akin to galaxy all most welcome, look forward to more news next week, from the small amount of detail in the trailer, ninty you have my attention after a quiet few months of keeping it secret.

I will say this only nintendo could process something like this through, how they expected sony or ms to copy I will never know.

MilkyMalky

Global Moderator
Just to break down all the different ways you can play the game, see the below images that demonstrates all we know about the console:

upload_2016-10-20_19-10-0.png
Biggest callouts for me is the Pro controller for fat hands like mine, the flexibility of the Joy-Con controllers, and the ease with which you can play online "locally" on the go.

Let us know what you guys think!

Andy_XCite

Clinton running for president.
Crystal Maze on the TV.
Nintendo using cartridges.

It is the 90's all over again.

clumsy

Looks interesting but cant help thinking those controllers and buttons will be too bloody small for my sausage fingers...

MilkyMalky

Global Moderator
When someone as stuck in his Sony ways as @Wicksy says:

"The more I watch, the more I want one."

Then there's a quiet optimism that this could be a masterstroke from Nintendo. Certainly hit some sort of sweet spot with a fair few people.

MilkyMalky

Global Moderator
Unreal 4 have now thrown their hat into the ring and confirmed support for the Nintendo Switch.

See video from IGN on the topic below

MilkyMalky

Global Moderator
Right this one might ruffle some feathers:

A bluff or something to be concerned about? Let's hear your thoughts.

T_Riddler_

Administrator
Forum Owner
Ninty revealed that they hadn't shown everything of switch yet, then left everyone wondering until next year...

Nintendo filed for a number of patents in the leadhand.to the reveal this month, this is nothing new with ninty who have been doing this for various things over the years with which very little has been made of.

Polygon have shown a few ideas that could be switch related but it's all rumour mill at this point.

Nintendo’s Switch will include a gyroscope, GPS, touchscreen, compass, motion tracking, image recognition and the ability to project images onto a flat surface or hand.

I for one feel anything nintendo offer as a gimmick will then need to be used in some way by developers, having had generations from snes to gamecube and not have something forced on me and developers that had to be used, I hope switch is games first and innovative feature that can be used if wanted later.

Shadow Weaver

Ninty must be having a laugh!

More expensive than a PS4 or Xbox One S, 32GB of internal storage (expandable via MicroSD, but no mention of external storage to my knowledge), 2.5 (!) - 6 hours of battery life, £59.99 RRP for Zelda and $50 (so probably £50) for a Joy-con all add up yo a big....

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY THINKING!

flamingcarrot

I think the biggest mistake is rushing the console out for March when they only have a handful of games ready.

Should have got developing sooner or held back the release and launched with Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon (and more).

I've still pre-ordered, just because it's easy to do, but I'll probably cancel nearer the time.

The only game I'll play is Zelda, and I can just get that for Wii U.

Agree about that shit battery life, though. Two and a half hours for Zelda. Seriously?!

I think Nintendo has done screwed up (again).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

T_Riddler_

Administrator
Forum Owner
I've pre-ordered I like my gadgets, I like nintendo games, I like buying things to play games and not play it, I look forward to super mario odyssey.

Head scratcher for me is a powered console via USB instead of a power supply, I'll use my TV or the back USB of the ps4 pro I suppose.

MilkyMalky

Global Moderator
Genuinely don't understand the thinking that Nintendo should launch a console with all their IP.

What and then have nothing in the pipeline?

No other console manufacturer gets put under the same scrutiny at launch for first party games. What Ninty are providing here is fairly standard for launch titles in terms of volume.

True the price is higher than I was thinking but I do think there will be bundles before launch.

Reasonably happy today, although I openly admit a few things could have been better. Still preordered, and still happy with what I'll be getting.

Swayndo

I've preordered for the boy. It's his birthday about then anyway.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk