1. Come on then lets get a list of names down for who's got this so we can start partying up and get some private matched going. http://www.vgforums.co.uk/threads/cod-ww2-ps4-role-call.10312/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
New!! Join User Group option added. Head over the this thread to see more information and instructions on how to join - http://www.vgforums.co.uk/community/threads/join-user-group-mod.6449/

KODI On Raspberry Pi / Amazon Fire / Android / PC

Discussion in 'Gadgets/Tech' started by Wicksy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Getting one of these today or tomorrow depending on delivery man.

Has any had any experience with them?

Hoping to install raspbmc or openelec so I can use as a media server along with my NAS drive

2. I was looking at getting one so let me know how you get on with it. I need to get back into computer programming, I've not done it in years.

3. yeah will do mate

4. I have one with xmbc running on it. I used Xbian as Openelec and raspbmc didn't seem to like my SD card. Wasn't hard to get running apart from the SD card troubles. Don't expect an ultra fast interface but it seems to work fine. Make sure you get a fast SD to speed the system up as much as possible.

5. is this thread in english? wtf are you lot talking about? :lol:

6. Coders gonna code.

7. Bumders gonna Bum.

8. is there any benefit from running the core XBMC over raspbmc or openelec?

9. Recently purchased a Raspberry Pi and installed OpenElec, only tried it to stream a few TV Shows and it's been a bit hit and miss (though I assume it's due to my ISP).

Had to change the output to 720p rather than 1080p as I found navigating through the menus a bit choppy (looking at the System status the framerate would fluctuate between 25-30fps) not that it matters when streaming/playback of media given most run at 24fps (more to do with my own preference of not wanting a sluggish menu).

Have yet to fully install it but from the limited time I've played with it I think it'll be sufficient for purpose.

For those looking to get a fast SD card Amazon have the Sandisk 16GB "Extreme - Up to 45MB/s" SD Card (Frustration Free Packaging) for £10 but with two additional days to deliver.

@runcorn: What Wicksy asked. :p

10. Interesting question, I have often wondered this myself :geek:

:?

11. Carver, I don't say this enough - you're my hero! :D

12. Runcorn have you followed this <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFdQVwc8Q0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFdQVwc8Q0</a>, this may help you with your SD card problem

i have done this and then overclocked the R-Pi, il update you once ive fully tested it at home with my NAS drive

13. Just a heads up about the SanDisk SD Extreme, 8GB or less are limited to 'up to 30MB/S' whereas the larger capacity cards are the advertised 'up to 45MB/S'

Amazon fails to highlight this on their product page... don't think I can be bothered to contact them about it as I've already opened it (though they have stopped selling it so must be aware) nor whether to look up for another card.

14. Thanks for the link to the video wicksy, I will give it a go.

As for the benefits of running core XBMC over Openelec or Raspmc, I am as clueless as the rest of the people in this thread.

15. Ended up enquiring to Amazon to see what my options were, ended up being issued a full refund and pre-paid returns slip. I then ordered the larger capacity card (twice the storage size for an extra Queen Head) which *should* be the advertised 45MB/s and is expected to arrive on Saturday.

Initially wasn't going to bother but then reconsidered as I rather eliminate any possibility of the SD Card being any sort of bottleneck. :thumb:

16. I too looked at getting one of these but other than streaming media the other uses are far beyond my capabilities... a gadget for the tech nerds... not the sheek-geek such as moi...

17. Amazon Fulfilled seller, "Take A Bite," have listed the B model (512MB Ram) for only £17.49

Update: Out of stock, that didn't last long...

18. Anyone still use their Raspberry Pi?

After trying it last year I pretty much discarded it. The other day I found it when cleaning the house up and thought I would give it another go. I reinstalled OpenElec on it. I really should have given this more of a go last year what a wonderful little media box. With the right plugins the box does just about everything you could want it too. Thinking about getting another couple for around the house.

19. Yeah i got a pi and use openelec for watching most shows and films. Just need to figure out how to get live footy on it.

20. You have a pm :)

@Wicksy Not sure I am allowed to post links for the instructions to get premier league football on the pi on here, if I am then I will.